|.: 14-Sep-2019 :.
|Ravi Shankar Prasad launches maritime communication services in India.|
Union Minister for Communications, Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad on Friday launched maritime communication services.
He also launched a web portal for reporting stolen mobiles to help trace them.
Speaking on the occasion, he said maritime connectivity will enable high-end support to those travelling on sailing vessels, cruise liners and ships in India by use of satellite technology and provide access to voice, data and video services.
An official release said that Nelco, India's leading VSAT solutions provider, will now provide quality broadband services to the maritime sector.
It said that Nelco, through global partnerships, infrastructure including transponder capacity on the satellite of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) and a comprehensive service portfolio, will help energy, cargo and cruise vessels by enabling customer services.
The release said that IFMC (in-flight and maritime connectivity) licence has not only enabled connectivity for onboard users on ships but also brings operational efficiency for shipping companies.
The government had in December last year announced licences for IFMC that allows voice and internet services while flying over the Indian skies and sailing in Indian waters, both for international and Indian aircraft and vessels.
P J Nath, MD and CEO of NELCO, said that they will also be offering a bouquet of digital services to cater to the needs of the various types of maritime vessels.
The release also said that a project called Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system has been undertaken by the Department of Telecom for addressing security, theft and other concerns including reprogramming of mobile handsets.
The major objectives of the project include blocking of lost/stolen mobile phones across mobile networks, prevention of mobile devices with duplicate and fake IMEIs and curtail the use of counterfeit mobile devices.
Read More ...
|Fire Erupts aboard Tanker at Norway s Sture Terminal|
A Liberian-flagged tanker caught fire while moored at the Sture terminal in Norway on September 13.
According to Norwegian oil major Equinor, the fire broke out in the engine room of the 2005-built tanker Dubai Harmony.
The ship s captain has reported that all the 23 people aboard the ship have been accounted for.
Equinor further said that there were 102 people at the Sture terminal at the time of the incident. Everyone not involved in the response to the fire has been evacuated from the terminal as a precautionary measure, it was added.
The company did not provide additional information on possible causes of the fire.
The Norwegian police said the fire had been extinguished but a traffic ban in a radius of one nautical mile is in place until further notice.
The crude oil tanker arrived at the Sture terminal in the early morning hours of September 13, according to AIS data from MarineTraffic.
Equinor noted that the incident did not affect the terminal s output.
Read More ...
|d Amico Widens Loss, Maintains Very Positive Outlook|
Italian tanker shipping company d Amico International Shipping (DIS) has widened its net loss in the second quarter of 2019, noting that both the product and crude tanker markets suffered from prolonged refinery maintenances during the period.
For the period ended June 30, 2019, the company reported a net loss of USD 18.8 million, compared to a net loss of USD 16.6 million seen in the same quarter a year earlier.
Time charter equivalent earnings (TCE) reached USD 62.4 million, rising from USD 59.3 million from the second quarter of 2018, while EBITDA stood at USD 25.5 million.
For the first half of 2019, the company s net loss was at USD 24.3 million, compared to a net loss of USD 20.2 million posted in the same period of last year, while EBITDA increased to USD 47.9 million from USD 10.1 million in the first half of 2018.
"The spot market in the first-half of the year suffered from the prolonged refinery maintenance season in anticipation of IMO 2020, which resulted in very low growth in refining volumes of only 0.55 million b/d year-on-year. Despite the subdued freight market, period rates as well as asset values have been gradually improving," Paolo d Amico, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of d Amico International Shipping said.
"Looking at the prospects for our industry, we maintain a very positive outlook. In fact, fundamentals are strong, with a favourable supply-demand balance for product tankers. Demand for seaborne transportation of refined products is expected to be strong in the second half of the year, thanks to a rebound in oil demand growth and an acceleration in refined volumes growth, driven by the new IMO regulations."
Read More ...
|Petronas to provide LNG bunkering early next year|
Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) is ready to provide commercial liquefied natural gas (LNG) bunkering services by January 1, 2020, in support of the government s ambition towards making Malaysia a bunkering hub, said vice president LNG marketing and trading Ahmad Adly Alias.
He said the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) decision to implement sulphur cap on marine fuel beginning January next year has triggered a further transition to LNG as an alternative and cleaner bunker fuel option.
"The LNG share of bunker market is expected to increase up to seven per cent by 2030 from less than three per cent today.
"This is owing to the fact that LNG emits zero sulphur when burnt, making it a strong contender to the traditional bunker fuel and further strengthening its market potential," he said during his keynote address at the Green Shipping Conference in collaboration with the World Maritime Week Malaysia today.
Read More ...
|British Ports Association Statement on Operation Yellowhammer Leak|
British Ports Association (BPA) responds to the publication of the Operation Yellowhammer reasonable worst case planning assumptions .
The BPA has consistently said that a no-deal scenario will cause disruption at some ports and that the best Brexit scenario is a comprehensive deal that supports frictionless trade.
It is critical that in any scenario, the Government prioritises the flow of port traffic so that it remains fluid and does not introduce any additional checks at the frontier. If necessary, any new checks at Ro-Ro ports should be facilitated inland.
Richard Ballantyne, Chief Executive of the British Ports Association, said:
The scenarios set out in the Operation Yellowhammer document are not surprising for British ports who have been working on a range of scenarios with Government for three years. The industry is as ready as it can be for a no deal although it is clear that this is about mitigating disruption at certain ports, not avoiding it.
Ports are of course though only one part, albeit an important component, of the logistics chain. We rely on others - freight forwarders, hauliers, agents, Government agencies - to also be ready for what is an unprecedented level of change potentially coming in with little or no notice. It is clear from the document that this remains a significant concern across the logistics chain.
There remain questions for operators using both accompanied and unaccompanied Roll-on Roll-off routes but the Government has designed a number of mitigating measures which will help importers temporarily, in the short term. Operators will need time to plan for any longer term solution so some kind of transitional period will be need for any type of Brexit that deviates from present arrangements.
We remain firmly of the view that a deal that supports frictionless, free-flowing frontiers is the best outcome and as far as we are aware this is still the Government’s aim. We still hope that the UK and EU can come to a sensible arrangement and bring this to a close as quickly as possible.
Read More ...
|Port Report: Tariff increases bring import container front loading|
Shippers responded to the last round of tariff increases on imports from China by front loading containers into U.S. ports in July, the National Retail Federation said. After bottoming out this month, the NRF forecasts container volumes will rise in October and peak in November.
July s volume of 1.96 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) was 100,000 TEU better than the last forecast estimate for the month and the biggest upside surprise to estimated volumes since January 2019.
The Port of New York and New Jersey is one beneficiary of the front loading as it reported July import volumes rising 4.6% to 336,972 TEUs. Through July, New York-New Jersey is the second busiest U.S. port in terms of total volume, handling 4.315 million TEUs versus 4.307 million at the Port of Long Beach.
August import volumes are expected to reach 1.96 million TEUs, up just under 2% from a year earlier. The largest U.S. port, Los Angeles, reported better growth with import containers rising 4% in August. Through the same period, imports are running about 3% higher than a year ago.
The July bump in volumes came as the U.S. Trade Representative started the first of two batches of tariffs on consumer goods, with $110 billion in goods getting excised at 15% starting September 1. Another $160 billion in imports is targeted for a December 15 increase.
A separate batch of tariffs will increase the tariff on $250 billion in Chinese goods to 30% from 25%, the NRF said.
"Retailers are still trying to minimize the impact of the trade war on consumers by bringing in as much merchandise as they can before each new round of tariffs takes effect and drives up prices," said NRF Vice President for Supply Chain and Customs Policy Jonathan Gold.
After the tariffs take effect, imports are expected to hit a five-month low of 1.85 million before hitting another high in November of 1.97 million TEUs.
Read More ...